Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Second installment, still cruising!





Monday in Juneau, 4:00 p.m.

Wayne and I went ashore and used the free internet at Juneau library and sent out my first blog from Alaska. It was without pictures and I thought we were going to grow old waiting for Wayne to send a video on his. He finally canceled it and just sent the message. We are so spoiled with our internet service at home.
Wayne has got a full blown cold, and I feel so bad, because I was so careful so he wouldn't catch it.
We took the Mt Roberts Tram to the top and back. A spectacular view, but they have you captive with restaurants and gift shops. They have an injured eagle called “Lady Baltimore” for people to see, kinda of interesting to see one up close. I feel the way they shoved us all in that little tram, standing, then put in 4 more, and shut the door, that it really wasn't that enjoyable. Maybe it was worth $27 a person, I don't know.
I hit the the t-shirt shops and another little shop while Wayne returned to the ship. They have everything 50% off and more, since there is only about 1 more week to their season. I found a few good buys, but what a mad house. 5 ships in port today.
I made it back on board, Wayne is thinking of dinner in the room, he is laying down. That is fine with me, because we are just eating together anyway, no tablemates.
Today the weather in Juneau was beautiful and everyone was shedding their coats. I think ketchikan and Sitka will have rain, but that's OK.
Later

Tuesday headed for Glacier Bay

Wayne and I both awoke at 5:00 this morning. We were able to get coffee, but were almost coffee logged by the time rolls came out.
As it started to turn light, we saw the the snow covered mountains on the side of the ship and it was beautiful. Of course, we left the camera in the room.
I have noticed the smoker's have one of the best social groups on board. They all congregate on the back deck and smoke and visit. Wayne really enjoys it. I can't stand to be out in the cold for long so I haven't met many people. I feel kinda like I've missed out there.
We are now pulling out of Glacier Bay, the huge glaciers were magnificent. Really a good day too, the captain said it is one of the best days they have had in the Bay all summer. Leaving as late as we did in the season, I feared we'd have real bad weather. Sitka tomorrow, and Ketchikan the next day, still time for pouring rain.
We requested and got table mates, they were very nice, and from Louisville, Ky. The problem is they will not be back to the dining room until Friday when we will be in Victoria. So I talked to someone and we should be at a table for 8 tonight, second formal night.
We went to a show last night, first time. The beginning was a married couple game with three couples, and the oldest had been married 68 years. He was a Pearl Harbour survivor, and he stole the show. When ask if there was anything he did that annoyed his wife, he said “everything.”

Wednesday this is SITKA

We are at Sitka this morning and it is pouring rain. We will have to ride a tender in, since they don't dock cruise ships. We are in no hurry, and have nothing other than sightseeing planned. It might stop raining in a few hours, if not, oh well.
We are going to look for a cybercafe to send our blogs. If they're fast we will send a few pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment